- Raw honey is the purest form of honey, which is unfiltered, unpasteurized and unprocessed. Honey is a sweet syrup extracted from the honeycomb, which is basically a nectar of flowers collected by the honeybees, which is further stored in the honeycomb by the bees.
- The breaking of honeycomb extracted from the beehive results in pouring out of the nectar, which is called raw honey. However, the regular honey is filtered, pasteurized and processed with additives to increase its shelf life and make it fit for commercial purposes. The best thing about raw honey is that it has a much higher concentration of nutrients as compared to any other form of honey.
- Raw honey is enriched with vitamins, minerals, enzymes and antioxidants, which makes the nutritional composition rich. Apart from this raw honey has more than 30 bioactive compounds also known as polyphenols. These antioxidants help in improving the heart health, digestion and helps in reducing edema to name a few. Moreover, the active enzymes help in improving metabolism.
Pure Honey Health benefits:
- Sweetener: Sugar can be substituted with honey in many foods and drinks. Honey contains about 69% glucose and fructose, enabling it to be used as a sweetener that is better for your overall health than normal white sugar.
- Weight loss: Though honey has more calories than sugar when honey is consumed with warm water, it helps in digesting the fat stored in your body. Similarly, honey and lemon juice as well as honey and cinnamon help in reducing weight.
- Energy source: Honey contains about 64 calories per tablespoon. Therefore, honey is used by many people as a source of energy. On the other hand, one tablespoon of sugar will give you about 15 calories. Furthermore, the carbohydrates in honey can be easily converted into glucose by even the most sensitive stomachs, since it is very easy for the body to digest this pure, natural substance.
- Improving athletic performance: Honey is an excellent ergogenic aid and helps in boosting the performance of athletes. Honey is a great way to maintain blood sugar levels, muscle recuperation and glycogen restoration after a workout, as well as regulating the amount of insulin in the body, as well as energy expenditure.
- Antibacterial and antifungal properties: Honey has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, so it is often used as a natural antiseptic in traditional medicines.
- Antioxidants: Honey contains nutraceuticals, which are very effective for the removal of free radicals from the body. As a result, our body immunity is improved against many conditions, even potentially fatal ones like cancer or heart disease.
- Honey skin care with milk and honey: Milk and honey are often served together since both of these ingredients help in creating smooth, beautiful skin.
- Honey in wound management: Honey possesses antimicrobial properties. It helps in promoting autolytic debridement. It deodorizes malodorous wounds. It speeds up the healing process by stimulating wound tissues. It helps in initiating the healing process in dormant wounds. Honey also helps in promoting moist wound healing.